New York is a national leader in climate policy, with formidable renewable, energy storage and energy justice goals, but is also arguably the most difficult state in the country to permit a renewable energy project. Hudson Energy Law understands the complexity and rapidly changing landscape of the renewable energy industry in New York State.
Our goal is to provide excellent legal services to our clients, which means more than just document drafting. We have the experience and resources to provide strategic project development counsel to private businesses and local governments who wish to lead the growth of renewable energy and other clean energy technologies in the state, while also providing equitable access and a just and fair transition for all New Yorkers.
We provide legal and strategic support for renewable energy project development at the commercial and industrial (C&I) scale as well as for solar farms and utility scale projects. These services include:
- Project early stage strategic and conceptual guidance through partnerships we maintain with electrical engineers specializing in solar, battery energy storage systems, microgrids and electric vehicle charging infrastructure.
- Design-Build and Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) agreements.
- Site control – including real estate matters, due diligence, option and lease drafting and negotiations, and access and/or license agreements.
- Support for permitting and entitlements, including planning and zoning applications, and environmental review.
- Professional Engineering Service Agreements, ensuring compliance with New York State requirements for Professional Engineers.
- Material supply and subcontractor vendor agreements that mitigate risk.
- Power Purchase and Energy Service Agreements, from the negotiation of term sheets through all milestone stages, including construction and closing.
- Community Solar subscription agreements and Remote Credit purchase agreements.
- Operations & Maintenance agreements.
- Business agreements including non-disclosure agreements, business referral agreements, teaming agreements, and co-development agreements.
- Support with federal, New York State and utility incentives, municipal finance structures, property assessed clean energy programs.
- Distributed energy resources, community choice aggregation and community distributed generation programs.
- Public Service Commission and utility regulatory support.
- Business law support for startups and new energy companies, including corporate formation, operating agreements, partnership structures, benefit corporations, not-for-profits.
We have experience working with many renewable and clean energy technology developers, including solar, hydroelectric power, microgrid, ground-source heat and thermal loops, district energy systems, biomass and biochar, as well as brownfield and landfill redevelopment projects.
Let Hudson Energy Law help get your project off the ground on the right track! Call us today!